I work very closely with children in after school clubs including sport, arts and crafts, cookery and drama. I have recently been listening to and chatting to parents about their concerns with their children's education. Many parents have aired their views that they feel that schools are not doing enough to accommodate to the needs of all children. They believe that schools are teaching to the level of the 'average' and 'typical' child. Those that are in need of extra help, not learning difficulties, but extra help such as being explained to in more depth, or help with spelling and reading are getting left behind.
This concerns me, especially as I work closely with these particular children and have a close working relationship. I can understand parents concern but cannot agree because I have no children so am not experiencing the system but perhaps Primary Schools are teaching to the 'average' child. School's must take into account each individual have their own learning style and way of responding, they must make sure each child has inclusion and that they feel comfortable in their learning and supported. However they must not teach with learning styles as a religion, I believe they must combine a mix of all styles encouraging children to read, write, listen and perform hands on tasks to learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment